What do I need to know to apply to the CSB program?
We’re happy that you’re considering a specialization in bioethics at U of T! Here’s what you need to know to complete your application.
First, you must be accepted to one of the collaborating graduate units (be sure to check their websites directly for application deadlines), and then you can apply to the CSB. You can apply to complete this specialization in bioethics at any point during your graduate program as long as you are able to complete the CSB requirements before you intend to graduate.
If you decide to undertake a master’s or doctoral thesis, we will require an email from your proposed supervisor indicating the ability to supervise in the event that you are admitted into the CSB. We have a number of CSB-affiliated faculty who are available to supervise CSB student research or serve as thesis committee members.
Applications are assessed by the CSB Executive, consisting of representatives from the collaborating graduate units. CSB admission decisions will be made after we receive notification that you have been admitted into your home unit. Please remember that admission into a home unit does not guarantee admission into the CSB program.
The following items must be included in your application to the CSB program:
- online application form for admission (this form must be completed in addition to the items below)
- current CV
- current transcripts in electronic form
- two letters of reference, and
- a one-page letter of intent. This letter must: detail why you are interested in the CSB; outline the research project you will conduct; provide the reasons why you chose this research project; describe the research methodology that will be used to complete the project; and describe what you hope to gain from the CSB, what you will give to the CSB, and what you intend to do once you have completed the specialization
- a letter or email from your thesis supervisor who has agreed to supervise you. The letter or email should be sent to Terry Yuen, program administrator, at firstname.lastname@example.org
If you're mailing in your application package to the CSB, please send it to:
Collaborative Specialization in Bioethics
University of Toronto Joint Centre for Bioethics
155 College Street, Suite 754
Toronto, ON M5T 1P8