Sandoz Drug Supply Shortage – ethics & other resources:
1. Ethics Working Group Materials
The JCB was asked by the Ontario Ministry of Health & Long Term Care (MOHLTC) to provide guidance on ethical principles to guide allocation decisions in two areas: i) drug inventory allocation and ii) modification of services. A small ethics working group was struck to respond to this request. The ethics working group includes: Sally Bean (Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre), Paula Chidwick (William Osler Health System), Jennifer Gibson (JCB – ethics working group chair), Dianne Godkin (Credit Valley Hospital & Trillium Health Centre), Robert Sibbald (London Health Sciences Centre), and Frank Wagner (Toronto Central Community Care Access Centre). The EWG has produced an ethical framework for resource allocation during a drug supply shortage, which was endorsed the MOHLTC and released across the Ontario health system on March 19th. The EWG`s work is ongoing, so this section will be updated regularly as additional materials and resources become available.
- Recently Published in Healthcare Quarterly: Ethical Framework for Resource Allocation During a Drug Supply Shortage
- Ethical Framework for Resource Allocation During a Drug Supply Shortage
- Trigger Points for Transitioning Between Stages in the Ethical Framework (draft)
2. MOHLTC Updates & Memos
This section will be regularly updated with any public broadcast MOHLTC updates and memos.
- Drug Shortages Redistribution Plan (Inventory Management) – April 2, 2012
- MOHLTC Memo: The Drug Redistribution Plan – April 2, 2012
- Ministry Update On Status of Health System Drug Supply – March 23, 2012
- MOHLTC Memo to Health Care Providers – Ministry Update on the Sandoz Canada Inc Drug Shortage Issue - March 20, 2012
- Minister Matthews’ Statement on Sandoz Drug Supply – March 7, 2012
3. Health Canada Bulletins & Alerts
This section will be regularly updated with any emerging bulletins or alerts from Health Canada.
4. Additional Ethical Frameworks
This section will be regularly updated with any additional frameworks adopted by other Canadian provinces.
- Saskatchewan Ministry of Health adopts Ontario’s ethical framework - Ethical Framework for Resource Allocation During Drug Supply Issues Affecting Saskatchewan - June 19, 2012
5. Ethics Literature & Other Ethics Resources
If you are aware of any ethics literature or resources that you would recommended posting here, please send them to Jennifer Gibson, firstname.lastname@example.org .