Prospective students must be admitted to one of the collaborating graduate units and can apply separately to the CPB any time after.
Questions? Email us!
Education: CPB - Program Details
Program Director: Barbara Secker, PhD
The CPB prepares students who will specialize in bioethics with an emphasis on innovative interdisciplinary research and scholarship in bioethics, and trains scholars whose primary goal is to contribute original research in bioethics. Innovations in basic and clinical science often raise profound ethical issues for which appropriate answers and optimal solutions currently do not exist but are capable of being better understood through rigorous applied research. Students are expected to conduct innovative research in relation to the discipline of their home departments, and to have a working knowledge of selected bioethical issues from the current viewpoint of each of the other relevant disciplines. Students who are interested in a professional masters-stream program should inquire into the Master of Health Sciences in Bioethics (MHSc).
The graduate units listed below participate in the Collaborative Program in Bioethics at the master's and doctoral levels. Students with an interest in bioethics register in one of the graduate units associated with the Collaborative Program in Bioethics (CPB). Upon successful completion, the student receives the master's or PhD degree in their discipline as well as the notation "Completed Collaborative Program in Bioethics" on the transcript.
Contact information for each of the above units is as follows:
- DLSPH, www.dlsph.utoronto.ca , email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- GDPS, www.pharmacy.utoronto.ca, email: email@example.com
- IHPME, ihpme.utoronto.ca , email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- IMS, ims.utoronto.ca , email: email@example.com
- LAW, www.law.utoronto.ca , email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- NUR, bloomberg.nursing.utoronto.ca/ , email: email@example.com
- PHL, www.philosophy.utoronto.ca , email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- RLG, religion.utoronto.ca , email: email@example.com
- RSI, www.gdrs.utoronto.ca , email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- SW, socialwork.utoronto.ca , email: email@example.com
CPB Executive Committee:
- Abdallah Daar (firstname.lastname@example.org) , Public Health Sciences
- Alison Thompson (email@example.com) , Pharmaceutical Science
- Andrew Franklin-Hall (firstname.lastname@example.org) , Philosophy
- Barbara Secker, CPB Director (email@example.com) , Rehabilitation Sciences Institute
- David Novak (firstname.lastname@example.org) , Religion
- Elizabeth Peter (email@example.com) , Nursing Science
- Fiona Miller (firstname.lastname@example.org) , Health Policy, Management & Evaluation
- Peter Newman (email@example.com) , Social Work
- Ross Upshur (firstname.lastname@example.org) , Medical Science
- Stephanie Nixon (email@example.com) , Rehabilitation Sciences Institute
- Trudo Lemmens (firstname.lastname@example.org) , Law